According to Diane DiResta, there are ten ways women sabotage communication within the workplace. Here is an ezine article that she wrote…
Have a read and let me know what you think that by posting within the comments box on the left side of this page By Diane DiResta.
Glass ceiling or partners in sabotage? While the ceiling exists, fairly often women undermine their success by how they convey within the workplace. We’ve learned to decorate for fulfillment but have we learned the language of success? When Catalyst, a non-profit organization handling women’s issues asked.
What holds women back from top management?
Fifty-two per cent said Male stereotyping and preconceptions of girls .
When they asked, How can women succeed?
Sixty-one percent said Developing a method with which male managers are comfortable. It seems communication style is vitally important.
Here are ten ways women weaken their image and what they will be do about it.
1. An excessive amount of head nodding-When women nod, they mean I hear you,
I understand. Too much head nodding is going to be perceived as a weakness and should end in miscommunication.
2. Uptalk-A rising inflection at the top of a sentence sounds tentative as if posing an issue. this is often a true credibility killer. Women won’t be taken seriously with this vocal pattern. to talk authoritatively practice bringing the voice down at the top of a sentence.
This is not true for all cultures. In Canada, India, Pakistan, France, and China it’s more commonplace to listen to the voice rise at the top of a sentence. This pattern is usually employed by American men within the South or by generation X. it’s not effective for either sex.
3. Weak Language
Tag lines-Some communicators make a press release then invite validation. this is often an honest idea, don’t you think? we’ve the simplest team, right? Tag lines weaken conviction and authority. Eliminate them.
Modifiers-Words like some, just, only, hopefully, and guess, minimize the message and therefore the messenger. this is often just an idea. I’m only a beginner; Hopefully, I’ve done an honest job; I assume I even have an issue, these are weak statements. They signal a scarcity of confidence and tell the listener that it’s not vital.
Constant apologizing isn’t appropriate and can have an equivalent effect. comb out wimpy words and replace them with powerful language. this is often most ordinarily a female pattern.
time to sound confident and filled with conviction.
4. Allowing interruptions-Men jump in and say what they think. they have a tendency to interrupt quite women. Women are more likely to permit themselves to be stop and lose credit for his or her ideas. Instead, they will say, I’m not finished, Please hold your questions,These interruptions break everyone’s train of thought or continue talking and finish your point.
5. Not speaking up (Waiting to be called on)- Still waters may run deep but in our business culture, people that don’t speak up are perceived as not knowing anything. plan to making one contribution at every meeting. it’s going to be as simple as underscoring some extent or adding to what’s been said. Some women wait to be called on or have difficulty taking the ground . it’s going to be necessary to interrupt to possess your say. Do it. you want to be heard to be a counted.
6. Dressing too sexy- A visual impression takes seven seconds or less. Clothing and appearance are a visible shorthand. Women who wear spiked heels, low-cut blouses, heavy make-up, and micro-mini skirts are communicating sexual availability instead of career mobility. To achieve the workplace, women must dress the part.
You don’t need to sacrifice femininity, but don’t appear too flashy. The goal is to seem professionally attractive. to realize advancement, dress one level above your present position. If you’re a supervisor, dress, sort of a manager. On the other end of the continuum, executive women may dress too frumpy.
7. At senior levels- it’s not what you recognize but who you’re as a pacesetter. If a lady executive doesn’t look the part, she’ll lose respect and credibility.
Breathe from the diaphragm and project the voice in order that every one at the meeting can hear. If they need to strain to concentrate , they’re going to tune you out. A speaker loses conviction when ideas are presented during a soft voice. Confident women project their voices.
8. Allowing others to require credit for ideas- A common complaint of girls is that men take credit for his or her ideas. When this happens women must learn to talk up and claim their contributions. Excuse me, I just said that a moment ago. don’t sit quietly while someone intercepts your idea.
9. Weak Body posture- Cute gestures like shrugging shoulders, not making direct eye contact, standing with one leg crossed at the ankle and a weak handshake will weaken ones visual impact. Men naturally take up more room . Hold your ground. Stand tall and stay up straight, make direct eye contact and ground your energy. Act such as you belong. you’ve got a right to be there.
10. Avoiding speechmaking– This is often one of the most important mistakes women can make in their careers. Men don’t have a ceiling. speechmaking is a chance for visibility and equal exposure. Confront your fear, get some coaching, and obtain out there and shine.
Read More: How Business Benefits from going paperless